Jacksonville Handyman Tips: Fixing Common Household Leaks
Table of Contents
Leaks are a common problem that many homeowners in Jacksonville face. Leaks can cause a lot of trouble, such as water damage, mold growth, and high water bills. That’s why it’s important to detect and repair leaks as soon as possible. In this article, we will give you some useful tips on how to fix some of the most common leaks in your home.
A dripping faucet is one of the easiest leaks to spot and fix. A dripping faucet can waste up to 3,000 gallons of water per year, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. To fix a dripping faucet, you need to do the following:
- Turn off the water supply to the faucet. You can usually find the shut-off valve under the sink or in the basement.
- Remove the faucet handle and the cartridge or ball valve that controls the water flow. You may need a screwdriver or a wrench to do this.
- Check the cartridge or ball valve for any signs of damage or wear. If you see any cracks, corrosion, or mineral deposits, you need to replace it with a new one. You can find the replacement parts at your local hardware store or online.
- Reinstall the cartridge or ball valve and the faucet handle. Turn on the water supply and test the faucet. If the dripping stops, you have successfully fixed the leak. If not, you may need to call a handyman for help.
A running toilet is another common leak that can waste a lot of water and money. A running toilet can waste up to 200 gallons of water per day, according to the EPA. To fix a running toilet, you need to do the following:
- Remove the tank lid and look at the flapper valve, which is the rubber seal that covers the drain hole at the bottom of the tank. If the flapper valve is old, warped, or misaligned, it may not seal properly and allow water to leak into the bowl. You need to replace the flapper valve with a new one that fits your toilet model.
- Check the fill valve, which is the device that refills the tank with water after each flush. If the fill valve is set too high, it may cause the water level to rise above the overflow tube and run into the bowl. You need to adjust the fill valve to lower the water level to about an inch below the overflow tube.
- If these steps don’t fix the problem, you may have a more serious issue with the toilet, such as a cracked tank or a faulty flush valve. In that case, you should contact a professional handyman to repair the toilet.
A leaky shower can cause a lot of damage to your bathroom walls and floors if you don’t fix it quickly. A leaky shower can be caused by a loose or faulty showerhead, a worn-out shower valve, or a leaky pipe behind the wall. To fix a leaky shower, you need to do the following:
- Inspect the showerhead for any leaks. If you see water dripping from the showerhead or the connection to the pipe, you need to tighten the connection or replace the showerhead. You may also need to replace the rubber washer or the O-ring that seals the connection.
- Check the shower valve for any leaks. The shower valve is the device that controls the water temperature and pressure in the shower. If you see water leaking from the valve or the handle, you need to replace the valve or the cartridge inside the valve. You may need to turn off the water supply to the shower and remove the handle and the trim plate to access the valve.
- If the leak is not from the showerhead or the valve, it may be from the pipe behind the wall. This is a more serious problem that requires professional help. You should not attempt to fix a leaky pipe yourself, as you may cause more damage to the wall or the plumbing system. You should contact a professional handyman to fix the leaky pipe.
A leaking roof can be a major headache for homeowners, as it can lead to costly and extensive repairs. A leaking roof can be caused by various factors, such as missing or damaged shingles, cracked or worn-out flashing, or clogged or damaged gutters. To fix a leaking roof, you need to do the following:
- Locate the source of the leak. You can do this by looking for water stains, mold, or peeling paint on the ceiling or walls. You can also go to the attic and look for signs of water damage or moisture. You should also inspect the roof from the outside and look for any visible damage or holes.
- Repair the damage. Depending on the type and extent of the damage, you may need to replace the shingles, seal the cracks, or clean the gutters. You can use roofing cement, caulk, or nails to fix minor damage. You can also use a tarp or a plastic sheet to cover the leak temporarily until you can get a permanent fix.
- If the damage is too severe or beyond your skills, you should hire a professional handyman to fix the roof. A professional handyman can assess the condition of the roof, identify the cause of the leak, and provide a proper and lasting solution.
By being proactive in identifying and fixing common household leaks, Jacksonville residents can save money, prevent water damage, and maintain a comfortable living environment. However, it’s important to recognize when a leak is beyond your DIY skills and call a professional handyman. For expert assistance with any household leaks, contact our team at (904) 867-4667 or visit our website https://handymanjaxfl.com/. Remember, a small leak today can turn into a big problem tomorrow, so don’t delay in addressing any leaks in your home.
Call us at (904) 867-4667 or visit our website https://handymanjaxfl.com/ for all your handyman needs!